ARUBA CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The main objective of A.C.P. is to provide correct and consistent information about Aruba, the tourism destination product and to improve the overall destination experience for visitors. Additionally, it is to rekindle the pride and unity of the Aruban community through the awareness and education of the Aruban brand identity, brand promise and excellent service with ‘zjeito’, resulting in One Happy Island.
Duration of the program: 6 sessions, 3 hours each
Language: Papiamento or English
Content: You will receive correct and consistent information of Aruba’s nature and its people, history and culture, history of tourism, and service excellence.
The program consists of the following modules:
1. Aruba’s Nature and its people.
In the first module we will unveil the secret to Aruba’s happiness and explain the zjeito-concept with the nine values which are rooted in our history. Our history defines who we are as a society today. To comprehend ‘zjeito’, one has to understand the development of the island and the different influences it underwent. The way we live, see and experience our everyday reality is rooted in our past. To maintain this root, it is important to know our history in order for our ‘zjeito’ to continue to flourish in an authentic way.
In this module we also highlight:
- Aruba’s flora and fauna
- Geology and formation of our island
- Aruba’s first inhabitants
2. Aruba’s History and Culture
In the second module we will focus on the history of Paardenbaai / Oranjestad and San Nicolas and when and why they became important cities.
Other important topics are:
- The most important industries in Aruba in the 19th and 20th century (the 4 major income sources, aloe, gold, phosphate and oil)
- Building a nation, Status Aparte and our national symbols
- Our culture: the Papiamento language, national festivities and holidays, local food, music and museums.
3. Aruba and tourism
In this module we will focus on the history of tourism in Aruba, starting in the 1930’s, with the first “hotel” and the arrival of the first commercial airplane. We will also share how the idea for developing the Palm Beach area for hotel development came about and the introduction of Time Share Hotel in the late 1970’s.
Other important topics:
- The development of the tourism industry in Aruba
- The importance of repeat guests
- The importance of sustainability and a forward look (‘Cu Mira pa Futuro’),
- Marketing of Aruba abroad: different strategies for different markets.
- The visitor’s profile: who are the tourists that travel to Aruba.
4. Service excellence – The guest
In this module we will focus on providing excellent service to your guest, by focusing on the guest journey and considering the guests perspective.
Topics that will be discussed:
- What is hospitality, what does it mean to be hospitable, and how do we meet the guest expectations, necessities, desires and goals.
- The pyramid of Service Excellence: Integrity, Intention, Capacity and Results.
- The pineapple story and what it symbolizes.
5. Service excellence – The guest and me
In this module we focus on what impact YOU, the service provider, have on the guest experience.
Important topics we highlight:
- Take a look in the mirror: A personal reflection and self-evaluation.
- Core competences of Service Excellence: Intention, Generosity, Caring, Service Minded, Tuning and Attention.
- Feedback: How to receive and give feedback in a professional manner.
- Communication: The art of communicating with others by listening.
After participating in all 6 sessions, the participant will become ‘Aruba Certified’ and the validation of the certificate is 4 years.
Price: AWG. 95.- per person (groups of 10 or more: AWG 80.- per person)